[Dprglist] QQRe: roborama rules questions

paradug paradug at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:16:43 PDT 2017

Markus,
     Answers to your questions.

      Q1:  Big Table Top 2 and Can-Can Soccer rules for the setup of the
fields have markings made
              with "blue painter's tape". I'm wondering what properties that
has for IR. I have simple
              drop off sensors (sharp gp2s40) and am wondering if my robot
thinks it reached the
              end of the world when it comes across a strip of tape?

     A1:  The blue tape was chosen because of its availability and its low
impact on IR sensors.
             In Big Table Top 2, the seam between the two parts of the table
is covered with blue
             tape to prevent tripping sensors. The uncovered seam will trip
some sensors. The tape
             used is "3M ScotchBlue  Original Multi-Use Painter's Tape"
available at Home Depot and
             similar locations. I would suggest obtaining some and
determining how your sensors
             respond to going over it. The table top is white, a piece of
poster board could be used
             as a simulated table top.

            The starting box is marked with black electrical tape (3/4") and
it will definitely trip an IR
             sensor. You must strategize how to leave and reenter the
starting zone.

            The blue tape used in the Can Can Soccer contest is only to help
aid placing robots
            and similar activities. It isn't meant to be used as a
navigational aid.

      Q2:  Can it generally be assumed that cans are "free standing"? In
other words, if an obstacle
              is wider than a single can, or smaller than a single can - it
can't be a can?

      A2:  The rules for Can Can Soccer say that the cans are randomly
placed. The judge places the
              cans just before the competition. No practice runs are made on
the final can positions.
              The judge will mark the course with small pieces of blue
painter's tape, so that cans will
              be in the same location for all competitors.

              Now we get to past experiences versus what is stated in the
rules.
              The judge generally will:
                     1.  Place the cans so that they are divided equally on
the two halves of the field.
                     2.  The cans are at least 2 inches apart.
                     3.  The cans are set no closer than 6 inches from a
wall.
              However, the judge is not required to do these things.

             You would be safe in saying that an obstacle smaller than a
single can isn't a can. I also
             think you would be safe to say an obstacle larger than 2 cans
and a couple of inches isn't
             a can. If an obstacle moves, it is definitely not a can.

      Q3:  In Can-Can Soccer there are supposed to be 6 cans on the field,
and the
              game ends when one robot has placed 7 cans into the opponent's
goal ..... I highly doubt
              my robot will have to look for the 7th can, I'm just curious.
Do you bring scored cans back
              onto the field? If yes, are they placed in the same spots as
the original 6?

     A3:   If you look at the rules closely, you will see at the top that a
round is divided into two 5
             minute halves. The cans are returned to the original locations
at the start of the 2nd half,
             and robots exchange the ends of the field. You can reset your
robot at this time.
             The idea is to equalize any unintentional advantage that one
end of the field might have.
             Unintentional advantages could be can placement or lighting
variations. A round
              actually consists of an opportunity to collect 12 cans.
Collecting 7 cans wins the round.
             Can placement is the same for all rounds of a tournament level.
The can positions can be
             changed between tournament levels by the judge. However, the
judge isn't required to
             change them.

    Q4:  I pre-registered for both events but didn't get any confirmation
emails, just making sure
            I didn't mess that up ;)

    A4:  You are registered. I will check with the person running the
competition about
            confirmation emails.

I have some questions about the rules/setup of Big Table Top 2 and Can-Can
Soccer.

Both fields include markings with "blue painter's tape" - and I'm wondering
what properties that has for IR. I have simple dropoff sensors (sharp
gp2s40) and am wondering if my robot thinks it reached the end of the world
when it comes across a strip of tape?

Can it generally be assumed that cans are "free standing"? In other words,
if an obstacle is wider than a single can, or smaller than a single can - it
can't be a can?

And lastly - in Can-Can Soccer there are supposed to be 6 cans on the field,
and the game ends when one robot has placed 7 cans into the opponent's goal
..... I highly doubt my robot will have to look for the 7th can, I'm just
curious. Do you bring scored cans back onto the field? If yes, are they
placed in the same spots as the original 6?

Thanks,
Markus

PS: I pre-registered for both events but didn't get any confirmation emails,
just making sure I didn't mess that up ;)