[Dprglist] Fwd: LF intersection angle rule

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 10:29:23 PST 2017

David,
      I agree about that all robot contests eventually devolve into races.
Especially after multiple people have solved the problems of the contest.
It is possible to give points for subjective attributes of the robot, but
that can be a slippery slope. The winner of Table Top this year, was an
example of a robot that was extremely cool. I competed in that contest and
even if my robot (Little Andy) had beat his time, my robot was nowhere as
cool as his. Luckily, that wasn't an issue since my robot screwed up.

      However, I don't think that the eventual devolution of robot contest
into races is the point. I think that the solving of the problems of the
contest is the fun and interesting part. Also, after you have several
people who have solved the problem, especially if they used different
approaches initially, it is fun to see which approach wins the day or how
far you can take your robot. I do think there should be a lifetime to a
specific contest. Sometimes you can extend a contest by adding new
challenges. I believe DPRG's table top contest and RoboColumbus are
examples of this. The trick is to know when to give the contest a rest.
When you give a contest a rest, you shut the door for new people who might
be interested is solving that contest's challenges.  I would still like
another shot at making a cool Table Top robot.

      There has to be an entry point for new roboticists to gain skills and
also a challenge point where people can continue to develop. Maybe, an
approach would be to set a "challenge" that is really hard, like the
Challenge LF course, and leave the challenge standing until someone solves
it. If both Carl and Ron manage to solve the Challenge LF course this May,
I will enjoy both of their efforts, even if the winner is the fastest of
the two.

Regards,
Doug P.