[Dprglist] RoboColumbus rules question

paradug paradug at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 14:36:12 PST 2016

John,
    It is funny that you ask. The DPRG monthly meeting topic is being presented by a Hackathon team made up of DPRG members (see dprg.org for news article). They used an online object identification (training set) as part of their project.

    If I were interpreting current RoboColumbus  Plus rules, I would say that a web based training set app would fail the on-board test. The reason is because the rules specify specific types of allowed data transfer (It might also run afoul of the beacon definition). However, I for one would be ok with adding an off board image identification training set app to the list of allowable data transfer. The trend seems to be using large web based object training sets. I do wonder in the case of an orange traffic cone, if a sufficient training set could not be built and run on one of the available linux boards (RPi, BBB, STM32F7, Edison, etc...). I think you could identify it by color for example <grin>.

    Make sure you come to the Saturday meeting at DMS. We could discuss with others. I like your ideas.

    As for being stuck in high grass, the robots managed to navigate a fairly boggy section with high grass during the last contest. I could see a leaping/bouncing robot that didn’t go too high or offer too much of a scary situation, and was safe  being ok. The rules do not really cover a ground based robot that occasionally leaves the ground. For example, I don’t think a robot would be eliminated that left the ground due to an naturally occurring ramp.

Regards,
Doug P.