[Dprglist] Rainwater's Sieve

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Tue Dec 6 09:19:07 PST 2016

Howdy DPRG,

At a recent RBNO we were discussing the volume of bad robot building
advice on the internet (I'm shocked!  Shocked!) and robot.net's Steve
Rainwater's advice for sifting through the noise.  I've run across some
really egregious examples of this on the net recently, and thought it
might be good to share Steve's wisdom with the group.

Basically Steve had designed three simple questions to separate the
robot builders from the "blowhards" (his term) and I've used his
questions myself to good effect on more than one occasion.  They are
really quite simple.

Rainwater's Sieve

Question #1:   Where is your robot?

Question #2:   May we see it?

Question #3:   Can you turn it on?

Steve says, if you can't get good positive answers to these three
questions, you are  probably dealing with a blowhard.

Were all of life so simple!

cheers,
dpa