[Dprglist] Seeing the RoboColumbus cones

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Mon Dec 5 22:49:27 PST 2016

John,

But I think you _are_ making your point.  That's why I suggested it
might be useful to examine the traffic cones in the UV spectrum. Maybe
the plastic itself has a unique signature, irrespective of the color.
Or maybe not.  Would also need a UV sensitive sensor or camera, which
might not be trivial, though the astronomers seem to do it all the
time.  Someone needs to investigate...

My first pass at finding the cones a few years ago just used the robot's
sonar to attempt to identify the proper shape, like SR04 does in the can
collecting contest.  In that contest, the SR04 robot does not care what
color the cans are.  I actually thought it was a bit of a cheat when the
club decided to paint them all orange in order to facilitate a certain
type of sensor.  They aren't "soda cans" any more; they are fluorescent
orange cylinders.

In a previous enlightenment SR04 was able to locate the cans with it's
sonar, and then sort them according to color (Coke, Sprite, Root Beer,
Orange Soda) using a bi-color LED and CDS cell on the ends of the
grippers.  All wasted effort with the "modified" cans. :)

But the cones turned out to be devilishly hard to identify with the
sonar unless you were already looking directly at it.   The shape tends
to send the sonar reflections off in different directions otherwise.  As
with lots of robot techniques, things that look good on paper or around
the water cooler often don't work in a practical application.

Now the Mars rovers had a tiny mass spectrometer on the end of the robot
arm.   There's a nifty solution!  Except for the cost, which is shall we
say above my pay grade.  And that also requires that the sample be
pre-located and have close proximity.   Not so useful for our
applications.  Still, a boy can dream.

onward!
dpa