[Dprglist] Seeing the RoboColumbus cones

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Mon Dec 5 17:21:38 PST 2016

John,

Interesting post.   Also great to see you out and about at the last
competition.   And dinner.   Robots + Mexican food == DoublePlusGoodness.

I will start by saying that you, being by nature an inquisitive and
research-oriented kinda guy, should certainly be encouraged to delve
into this and find us a superior method of finding colored objects, be
they fluorescent orange or any other color.   By all means.

But I think perhaps there is a misunderstanding here.  You wrote:

"I think we have a conceit that orange is unique enough because it looks
dramatic to our eyes."

Instead, fluorescent orange is used precisely because there is otherwise
so little of it naturally in the environment.  The software can be tuned
to recognize any arbitrary color.   But most of those colors are present
in copious amounts in nature.  Which makes the recognition task much
harder.  Not much fluorescent orange in the average outdoor scene.

The digital cameras we use are in fact most sensitive to light in the
infrared, because of the nature of the CCD tech.  And everything
outdoors has a significant infrared signature because of the nature of
the illumination, i.e., the sun.   As a result all modern digital
cameras, including the one in your phone as well as those used by
professional photographers, have an infrared filter on the front end.
Otherwise the infrared swamps out everything else.   (In fact if you
want a camera that can see into the infrared, to see heat and such, all
you need to do is remove that filter.   There are hacks on the internet
to do that very thing.)

The reason that fluorescent orange works so well with these cameras is
not because of human conceit, but rather because there is so little of
it naturally in the environment to confuse the recognition algorithm.
So the signal to noise ratio is very high, and the likelihood of false
detections is commiserately low.

In fact, this is true for all the fluorescent colors, not just orange.

The cameras and recognition algorithms we use work equally well with
fluorescent blue and fluorescent green.   Again, because there is so
little else in the environment that are those colors.   ( Just kind of
hard to find fluorescent blue and fluorescent green traffic cones,
though we could paint some those colors if so desired.)

In some early experiments I added a 1 million candle-power flashlight to
the robot in order to try to smooth out the wide range of lighting
differences in outdoor situations.   But I found after a lot of
experimentation that it wasn't really needed.

As an aside, a biology professor once told me that the reason that our
eyes are optimized for "visible" light which, as you point out, is less
than an "ocatve" of the electromagnetic spectrum, is because eyeballs
evolved underwater, and indeed are full of water, and water is
transparent to those frequencies.  Birds and insects can also see into
the ultraviolet, but ultraviolet causes cancers, and only critters with
short life spans have that capability: they don't live long enough for
the cancers to be a problem.

But as I say, if you can come up with a different type of sensor or
sensor plus illuminator that works better, bring it on!   We're all
interested.

cheers,
dpa