[Dprglist] Fwd: DPRG Community Outreach (and Fun) - FTC Volunteer Judges Wanted In February

Paul Bouchier paul.bouchier at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 12:51:28 PST 2024

DPRG folk - I want to designate Feb 24 (the Saturday after Presidents day)
as a DPRG-helps-FTC-judging day, and see if we can get a group together to
do judging. This is the North TX Regional championships, so we should see
some top teams, which is a really enriching experience - it makes me feel
like maybe the world isn't going to hell in a handbasket after all :-).
Please consider joining me in Flower Mound for this event.

I volunteered for 2/24 and would love to see some of you there too. When I
did it last year it was really high-energy and rewarding to see all those
high-schoolers with really advanced robots and to assess their business
presentation, engineering notebooks, the design and creativity in their
robots, and how much they really knew about it.

Here is the judge job description (from the FTC site):
The primary role of a Judge is to interview teams, and to decide which
teams deserve an award based on team interviews, the robot, match play, and
the engineering portfolio. 6 Judges are paired in groups of 2 - 3 to
interview a set number of teams before the competition begins as well as
interviews in the pit area.
-Interview and watch teams in the judging rooms, the pit, and on the
playing field.
-Take part on judge panel to decide team award recipients.
Prerequisite: FIRST experience. BlueVolt training courses. (Paul's
observation: you don't really need FIRST experience - most DPRG folk have
been around robots enough to be competent. But they do make you do the
bluevolt Youth Protection training courses).

Signing up: I clicked the link given for the 2/24/2024 competition:
https://my.firstinspires.org/Volunteers/Wizard/Search/2?EventId=70541
https://my.firstinspires.org/Volunteers/Wizard/Search/2?EventId=70541
It asked me to log in, which I did using my email/passwd from last year.
You may need to register. I selected the date and selected the judge role
out of the available jobs, and it's taken me to a place where it shows my
profile and has a link to uncompleted tasks, which are to take the online
Youth Protection Training (on a site called bluevolt). Warning: it's not at
all obvious how you're supposed to get enrolled - you have to read the web
page pretty carefully.

Let me or Karim know, either on the list, or directly to
paul.bouchier at gmail.com if you can help, and we'll know to look out for
each other and share previous experience.

Thanks, and I hope to see you there.

Paul Bouchier