[Dprglist] New email server name is dprglist at googlegroups.com and it's LIVE. Please let me migrate you.

Paul Bouchier paul.bouchier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 10:38:38 PDT 2024

Please forward this email to paul.bouchier at gmail.com with the word "YES"
and I will migrate your current email address to the Google Group. Include
any special instructions like "please change my email address to
xyz at whatever.com", or whatever.

With 6 votes (after adjusting for some email/Discord vote changes),
dprglist was the winning name selected by the 13 DPRG members who
responded. Next most popular was dprghub (4 votes), dprgbots (3),
dprgrobots (2) dprgrobotbuilders(2) and write-in name dprgderp (1)

The new google group is now live. I prefer to migrate people who are
already on the old server or my NotDprgList manual distribution groups, to
minimize the chance of error. Please forward this email to
paul.bouchier at gmail.com and prefix "YES" and I'll migrate you and I'll
respond to you by email with "Migrated". Once you're migrated you can send
email to the list by emailing dprglist at googlegroups.com, or by browsing to
the group web page at https://groups.google.com/g/dprglist. You can post
directly from the web page.

The group web page can be accessed by anyone with a Google account. (A
Google account is not the same as having a gmail address.) You likely
already have a google account if you've done anything with Google. If you
don't have a Google account, you can associate your current email address
to a Google account using these instructions:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/27441?sjid=18316259797989767506-NC

(Follow subsection: "Use an existing email address")

Group policies, and the transition plan are at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wmlwW1Dyj81o1FsZJP9zZEWNYgnRunkJQD6ntiqdScE/edit?usp=sharing
In summary, anyone on the web can request to join, and admins will normally
allow them to join, but they will be moderated, meaning an admin has to
approve any message they send before it goes to the group
(spammer-defense). Once they've shown they're not a spammer they will be
unmoderated. Your DPRG board members are all admins.

The current server had only 82 posts in the last year. I expect this one
will probably be similar, so you probably don't need to worry about getting
crushed by dprglist emails. Most discussion happens on discord. Here's an
invitation link to join the DPRG discord server, in case you haven't done
so yet.
https://discord.gg/z3XjFKH5
There's no recommendation for when to send a message over email vs.
discord. Email is more likely to reach all club members, so meeting
announcements and the like will be sent on that channel, but there's no
prohibition against using email for any communication. Discord is good for
discussion but is unlikely to reach everyone.

You'll want to check your spam folder - yahoo mail just dropped a message
from the google group into spam. I marked it "not spam", so it should
remember that.

Documentation on dprg.org will be updated in due course to point to the new
email server, and the current dprglist email distributor will be shut off
on June 1.

If you have any questions, please reply to this or email president at dprg.org
and I'll field them.

Paul Bouchier