[Dprglist] [Dprg_roborama_committee] LEGO MindStorm to be discontinued

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:15:30 PDT 2022

Wow -

in case I haven't mentioned it -
there was a time when Lego Mindstorm played a prominent role in my time in
Nokia Mobile Phones R&D.

There was a manager training course where manager teams had to compete to
each build a T-Rex Mindstorm following the standard "engineering &
prototype & production line practices" of the day.
The twist was that the instructions for various subassemblies were
intentionally corrupted, and the parts kits were intentionally shorted or
misconfigured.
To "win" - the teams had to learn to cooperate.
The lesson was that within the company - it wasn't really about
competition - rather - it was more about working together for everybody /
all teams to succeed.

The other scenario was actually in one of the reliability test labs.
I recall one task - to verify the cycle time life for button presses.
Rather than spend the cycle time and money to build traditional 'model
shop' jigs made from metal that would 'last forever' -
Some of the guys built jigs from Lego Mindstorm - simply tapping the same
buttons over and over again.
Sure - the jigs would wear out relatively quickly, but they were super fast
and easy to replace.

Such fun...

- Carl