[Dprglist] AI in natural language, self-driving cars, etc.

David P. Anderson davida at smu.edu
Sun Oct 16 15:21:46 PDT 2022

Ed,

I guess we'll just have to disagree (not for the first time!) on the
definition of "mastery."

I agree that learning a foreign language is difficult as an adult.   In
the middle ages the common wisdom was that learning to read and write
were so difficult that ONLY an adult could accomplish it.  Turns out
they were wrong, and the difficulty was BECAUSE they were trying to
learn it as adults.   Same thing with learning a foreign language as an
adult.

In one of my college psych courses we learned that humans learn the
concept of symbolism, this stands for that, somewhere between 2 and 3
years old.  Language is an extension of that ability to symbolize.  I
believe the author was observing the lack of that mechanism in current AIs.

So ultimately this may be a glass-half-empty-half-full sort of thing.
Some might think language flawed because of a lack of perfect
communication.  Other's might be blown away that we can do it at all.
I tend to fall into the latter group.  Seems like you are perhaps in the
former.

cheers!

dpa