[Dprglist] RPi running ROS, booted from SSD

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Tue Mar 29 13:24:48 PDT 2022

Hi Paul,

If it fits your requirements, perhaps a simpler alternative (which is what I do)
is to keep the /boot partition on the SD card and just move the root partition
over to the SSD. I do this by:

   1. getting the OS to run while referring to the root partition by UID rather
      than path
   2. rsync the root partition to the SSD
   3. get the UID of the SSD
   4. duplicate the line in /etc/fstab that refers to the root partition,
      comment out the old line (so you can go back to running from the SD
      card if you like); change the UID of the remaining line to the SSD's UID
   5. reboot

I think that sums up what I do...

I've been using the 500GB Samsung T5 SSDs on several of my robots, works great.

Murray