[Dprglist] Mowbot simulation accuracy

Paul Bouchier paul.bouchier at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 20:27:44 PDT 2022

Thanks to David, Steve and others for suggestions at last night's RBNV
meetup on setting DEADBAND and other possible problems with Mobot's
inability to navigate a square accurately.

I did set DEADBAND to 1 degree, and let it keep correcting all the way to
the waypoint, and that reduced the curve as it homed in on each waypoint.
However it did not fix the problem where Mowbot would end up 20cm away from
where odometry said it was after running the 4m square.

I tracked the problem down to the fact I'd set the wheel width to 5cm in
the gazebo model, and the overly-wide wheel was causing odometry to measure
incorrectly (just as it would in the real world). When I set wheel width to
5mm it ran the square perfectly. Another +1 for skinny wheels. :-)

Paul