[Dprglist] Saturday

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:13:34 PDT 2022

Awesome - it was great to catch up in person - despite the A/C and
lingering mask issues...

I'll work with Doug on the spinning robot demo results.  Maybe we can touch
on those in tonight's RBNV.

Yeah - floor flatness - Michael's robot adds a new level of insight :-)
That laser pointer is brilliant!

Sounds like the slightly larger path caused us both problems.  Perhaps the
larger perimeter puts you closer to obstacles around the room.  For
HoverSim, I had been tuning with smaller perimeters, which had more margin
to people and chairs.  I believe that getting closer to those or the metal
walls threw off the magnetometer in BNO055 9DOF fusion mode.  And then when
I changed to IMUPLUS mode (ie. 6DOF with accelerometer and gyro / no
magnetometer), I believe I found an exciting new artifact for spin mode...
I believe the constant spinning must throw off BNO055 fusion modes -
without the magnetometer world-reference it seemed to get confused at the
furthest cone where it 'doubles back'.  So I think my spin mode errors on
Saturday were actually related to IMU fusion mode artifacts more than floor
flatness. More on that theory and what to do about it in tonight's RBNV...

- Carl