[Dprglist] On the search for a new Prez

Paul Bouchier paul.bouchier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 09:37:10 PST 2022

DPRG folks - our president, Carl Ott has mentioned several times that he
has so far been unable to find a member willing to serve as DPRG President
for a year or two. This is a sad situation, and IMHO Carl should stop
organizing meetings, walk away from the role, and let the chips fall where
they may. (He's a good guy, and wouldn't do that lightly, but has every
right IMHO.)

Many of us derive considerable value from the interactions with other
roboticists in the club, and if we feel we derive value, it is only fair to
give back to the membership and the club by helping run it for a while.
It's not an unduly onerous task, and not one that necessarily demands as
much time and effort as Carl clearly puts in - he set a high bar which does
not need to be met or exceeded. Presidents may even offload some of the
work, by e.g. finding a monthly-meeting speaker organizer. And presidents
certainly receive the support and appreciation of the club membership, and
are aided by their fellow officers, secretary and treasurer.

There was a suggestion at a recent RBNV that we should perhaps "recycle"
past presidents (I made it), but that is just wrong - past presidents have
paid their dues. As active as this club is, I have to believe we can find
new blood among our ranks. If we, the members, cannot find anyone willing
to give back to the members for a year or two, perhaps we deserve for the
club to fold.

A club needs a president to declare when meetings are to be held, answer
questions, and a number of "face of the club" type duties. I want to
encourage you, if you feel you derive value from the club, to consider
volunteering to serve as president. I guarantee you will run unopposed. :-)
And you can pick what level of effort you want to inject.

Hoping for a new Prez soon

Paul Bouchier