[Dprglist] NUCLEO STM32 L476RG - need suggestion of development environment to use

Chris N netterchris at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:32:18 PDT 2021

Is that your hypothesis or are you saying it now works after you reversed
this?

I still believe it's a case of PlatformIO unfortunately not fully
supporting your board.  I'm actually having the same issue.  I have 4
different STM32 boards.  2 of them are Nucleo boards with built-in
programmer/debugger and the other 2 are "blue pill" and "black pill" type
boards, with a separate USB debug/program dongle.   The latter 2 work
fine.  The Nucleo boards are not.

I'm not sure if it's because of the differences in the MCU, or because of
differences in the programmer (the nucleo boards incorporate ST-LINK V3,
the external programmer is a V2...)

I did rule out that OpenOCD.exe, the utility which PlatformIO uses for
programming and debugging, is the issue.  STM32CubeIDE by default uses the
"st-link" utility.  If I configure STM32CubeIDE to use openocd.exe, it
still works.  Hence openocd.exe is not the culprit, but perhaps how
platformio uses / configures it.

Although I have a lot of praise for PlatformIO, it does lack/ a little when
it comes to programming/debugging support when compared to something like
STM32CubeIDE.