[Dprglist] Subsumption Discussion

Rud Merriam rudmerriam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:13:34 PDT 2021

David,

I'd like to discuss where we differ on the definition of subsumption.
I'm looking at your page on subsumption
https://www.dprg.org/articles/2007-03a/ since I don't have the books you
are referencing. (Actually, I found a PDF of "Mobile Robots" at
https://cs.au.dk/~ocaprani/legolab/DigitalControl.dir/NXT/Lesson9.dir/11128_Mobile_Robots_Inspiration_to_Implementation-Flynn_and_Jones.pdf"

The book I started from was elementary and I disposed of it during a
recent move. I have read much on the web about subsumption and BTs, and
have implemented BTs for robotics work.

You refer to layers which I call behaviors. Rodney Brooks original paper
often conflated the two.

Looking at your section III. Arbitration you say:

    Subsumption tasks are arranged by priority, from lowest to highest,
    as determined by the robot builder for a particular problem set.  An
    arbitrator() selects the output of the highest priority task whose
    flag is true to pass on to the physical subsystem (motors or
    whatever) for this pass through the loop, this 20th of a second.

    Low priority tasks can only control the robot when all higher
    priority tasks' flags are false.

My description would be:

    Behaviors are listed in order of priority from highest to lowest.
    Once the list is processed the highest priority task that 'fires' is
    given control of the system. The default behavior is the last on the
    list.

Although my original reading of subsumption was that the entire list was
not processed but control passed once a behavior fired. I modified this
to process the entire list. Thus, my original understanding may have
been incorrect but I in inadvertently changed to the correct processing.

You provide code from Flynn and Jones:

void arbitrate()
{
     while (1) {
         if (cruise_output_flag == 1)
             {motor_input = cruise_output; }
         if (follow_output_flag == 1)
             {motor_input = follow_output; }
         if (avoid_output_flag == 1)
             {motor_input = avoid_output; }
         if (escape_output_flag == 1)
             {motor_input = escape_output; }
         sleep(tick);
     }
}

I assert that this is an OR process with the caveat that the default
behavior always results in a true condition so it has control. BTs are
more complex having multiple lists to process so a given set of
behaviors (layer) is not likely to have a default behavior. Subsumption
is a /sequence/ in a BT. From
https://www.gamedeveloper.com/programming/behavior-trees-for-ai-how-they-work

    Their main power comes from their ability to represent multiple
    different courses of action, in order of priority from most
    favorable to least favorable, and to return success if it managed to
    succeed at any course of action.

We may simply have a difference in terminology, as above, and
implementation details.

-73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD*
/Mystic Lake Software/ <http://mysticlakesoftware.com/>