[Dprglist] Bees

David P. Anderson davida at smu.edu
Wed Oct 27 12:48:44 PDT 2021

During discussion last evening about the magnificent honey bees and how
they communicate the location of nectar to each other, I forgot the
simplest.

The bees do their dance showing direction and distance for nectar
sources that are far from the hive.  And do it horizontally to show the
angle to the sun, or vertically using the zenith for the sun.  I guess
that makes sense, they only really need the angle. And distance.  And
quality of the nectar.

But, if the source is near the hive, rather that some arduous distance,
they instead just dance in a circle.  I guess the implication is, "just
go out and fly around the hive, you'll find it."

Amazing.

David