[Dprglist] navigation troubles

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu Oct 14 13:32:27 PDT 2021

But that's the problem with running simulations-as-real-life, which is
what AI is doing. Even humans can't often tell if a blockage is temporary
or permanent. There's a street north of where I live where it's been
under construction for almost five years (the thousands of traffic cones
are a windfall for some contracting company), whereas in Fukuoka, Japan,
an enormous sinkhole that swallowed an entire downtown intersection,
including the subway, underground shopping mall, and lots of complicated
infrastructure, was all fixed in less than a week. So maybe there'd be a
different algorithm in Japan than New Zealand. Maps can often be wrong
about the current situation and nobody can predict the future, but these
cars are showing up every five minutes. Nothing gets fixed in five minutes.
Even diverting traffic around an accident is something we've (largely)
learned to do, using high techinology like car radios...