[Dprglist] NASA's CADRE Shoebox-Sized Robot Rovers

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 06:43:07 PDT 2021

Jeff,
     Here is another good article discussing "CADRE"'s purpose (see:
https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/game_changing_development/projects/CADRE).
I wish they showed their rover design a bit more. It looks to have a lot of
3D printed parts in the prototype. Other observations are that each wheel
is driven by an individual motor like Dagu Wild Thumper designs (see:
https://www.pololu.com/product/1564) and the top of the final rover, not
the test rover, is to be covered with solar cells (see:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/autonomous-rovers-being-tested-in-the-slope-nasa-to-3d-map-the-moon-with-them-173419.html#agal_4).
I wish we had a better view of the rover's suspension. That is the design
feature that really interests me currently.The rover shown in the article
doesn't appear to be a folding robot A-PUFFER variation.

    NASA seems to be really investigating the idea of multiple small robots
launched from the delivery vehicle after landing (A-PUFFER and CADRE).

Regards,
Doug P.