[Dprglist] Wall Following Sensors

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Wed Jul 28 11:37:43 PDT 2021

Hi Pat,

I've used the related sensor, the VL53L1X Time of Flight, mounted on a
microservo. I can't say whether it will work in Texan sun but here in
New Zealand (where the UV is high and sheep wear sunscreen) I didn't
have any issues at all, and where you are I'd think you'd be fine. As
to whether it would sense things like chain link or foliage, I can't
answer that as I've not pushed my robot to those limits, it's only
inhabited my front deck.

But I was otherwise happy with the sensor, though probably like all
of the sensors in this lineup, you have to choose latency vs.distance
(and maybe accuracy, though I've not noticed that) in configuring the
timing budget:

   # Optionally set an explicit timing budget
   # These values are measurement time in microseconds,
   # and inter-measurement time in milliseconds.
   # If you uncomment the line below to set a budget you
   # should use `tof.start_ranging(0)`
   # tof.set_timing(66000, 70)
   tof.start_ranging(1)  # Start ranging
                         # 0 = Unchanged
                         # 1 = Short Range
                         # 2 = Medium Range
                         # 3 = Long Range

   VL53L1X Time of Flight (ToF) Sensor Breakout
   https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/vl53l1x-breakout

Cheers,

Murray