[Dprglist] MARS Perseverance Rover replica

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Sun Jul 11 00:46:47 PDT 2021

On 11/07/21 3:29 pm, Thalanayar Muthukumar via DPRGlist wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOZZMsMAGh0&t=276s <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOZZMsMAGh0&t=276s>
>
> I wonder if anyone has considered something like this.
> I just came across this today and consider it an ambitious project,
> but was interested to pursue an even smaller model than what this > person has done.

Hi Kumar,

Are you aware of the ExoMy robot project? It's a much smaller Mars rover
that uses servo motors for both steering and locomotion, is almost entirely
3D printed, and the design doesn't by default even include any sensors,
just a camera, so it's more suited for tele-robotics. It also hews to the
ExoMars rover's triple-bogie rather than the NASA/JPL rover's rocker-bogie
suspension mechanism, as that's significantly easier to build.

The ExoMy project has a Discord channel so you can join the community at:

     https://discord.gg/NehSSeux

and a home page at:

     https://www.esa.int/Enabling_Support/Space_Engineering_Technology/3D_print_your_own_Mars_rover_with_ExoMy

> Doing it alone seems daunting though.
Agreed.

So there are ways to build something that can still be called a Mars
rover without trying to build a smaller version of the Perseverence
rover, which I would agree would be very ambitious for one person. The
ExoMy is but one. There are a lot of Mars rover projects out on the
web, and I'm myself am even in the early design phase of a Mars rover
that will use the GoBilda hardware for much of its structural and
locomotion, and 22mm diameter motors to give you an idea of the scale:
slightly larger than the ExoMy. I'm guessing that it will cost me
around $3000 by the time I'm done, so I'll be doing that over a longer
period of time. And I'll be developing my own OS for it so yes, I agree
it's pretty daunting a task. One step at a time...

But we're in robotics because it's hard, not because it's easy, right?

Cheers,