[Dprglist] Assisting PID odometry with an IMU

markus markus at bibi.ca
Sat Jan 23 15:32:39 PST 2021

Hi Murray,

I'm not sure about your architecture, so this might be redundant. Many
years ago we had a similar discussion here and as a result I
implemented 3 PIDs for my differential steered robot.

One PID (A) does the steering and determines the set points for each
motor. And those are used as the input values for two PIDs (L and R),
one for each motor. L and R use the same configuration and ensure that
each motor actually does what is expected of it, without impacting the
other motor. Note that L and R should run faster than A. I have A
running at 100Hz and L/R running at 1kHz - I chose 10x more or less
arbitrary.

Have fun,
Markus