[Dprglist] KD01 Rotate in Place video

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Fri Jan 22 19:04:50 PST 2021

Sometimes it's important to prove one is making progress. Not that this is
advancing the science at all but I've just posted a video showing the KD01
differential drive robot rotating in place using its PID controllers:

   KD01 Rotate in Place
   https://youtu.be/HFRrQuXLtvk

I'm planning to re-do the test so that it spins a lot longer at full speed
to see if the PIDs are actually holding it in position, but I'm not sure
if that's all that valid a test or not given any side movement could also
be caused by tire slippage or inertia. I went back to David Anderson's
YouTube video* to see if I'm getting closer to his RCAT benchmark (i.e.,
on the table, ~11:40 in the video). His RCAT can spin in place without
PIDs, and the KD01 is clearly not as balanced a design but still I think
functional. I'd thought about replacing that full-size back caster with a
smaller one but for now I'll refrain from further hardware changes.

Cheers,

Murray

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CXReb7f0Eo