[Dprglist] PID-tuned Clock in Python?

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu Feb 18 16:03:12 PST 2021

On 19/02/21 12:40 pm, Karim Virani wrote:> [...] Much of the academic and startup robotics community has decided
> that linux is very often the right tool. The question is what is the job?

Hi Karim,

As I just wrote (your message came in just as I sent my response to David),
we all have a differing set of experience, interests, requirements and work
habits. Mine is that I want to be able to ssh in to my robot, do my coding
and testing on it, push to github from it, and often even operate the robot
remotely. This requires ssh and an active WiFi connection. In the future I
hope to be able to operate the robot entirely without WiFi, but for now,
that's both how I work and how I control my robot. And secondly, even given
its difficulties, I'm at this point am trying to focus on using Python,
for personal and professional reasons, and so far for the most part I'm
enjoying not regretting that decision.

> Murray wrote: But that's not solving the problem, which is having a very
> accurate millisecond timing loop." and then: "assume an imprecise clock
> ... that would make our code more complicated"
>
> Disagree. [...]

I don't really have any disagreement with your disagreement. I tried to
answer some of those concerns in my message to David.

So I have just one question, out of curiosity:

> RTC's are a baby red herring. RTOS is the papa red herring. Unless, maybe,
> if you're landing on Mars...
What do you mean by RTOS being the papa red herring? Just that we all
need to stop assuming accurate clocks?

Cheers,