[Dprglist] Light Sensors, Moth/Anti-Moth Behaviours, and PID steering

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:02:27 PST 2021

Murray,
     CdS LVR sensors have a light sensitivity similar to the human eye.
That is why they were often used in camera light meters in the past. If you
get quality cells the match isn't too bad. However, because of price I
often buy a quantity of 10 to 30 cells from China on ebay ( about $2 for
batch) and select 2 that are close. They do not need to be exact because
you can correct mismatches in the software. The shape of the response
curves between cells of the same type are generally similar (unless you are
getting failed parts). Response times of small CdS cells are generally 20
ms when decreasing value and 30 ms when increasing value. Even 70 ms
response time is adequate for a moth / cockroach robot, since you do not
need the sensors to be at steady state.  The interesting light intensity
value range for this type of robot is usually 4 to 400 Lux (Dark limit of
civil Twilight under clear sky to well-lit office area). Published CdS LVR
response curves are typically measured over a range of 1 to 100 Lux. Again
this is adequate. Brighter than 400 Lux usually isn't too interesting.  As
you stated the usable light intensity range is about 10-600 Lux.

   I use a proportional speed value based on the absolute difference
between the sensors. Like this:

case LVR_L:                        // Turn Left
// left mtr slow fwd, right mtr fwd
set_motors(100 , (100 + pro_LVR_spd));
delay(15);
break;
case LVR_R:                        // Turn Right
// left mtr fwd, right mtr slow forward
set_motors((100 + pro_LVR_spd), 100 );
delay(15);
break;

Where pro_LVR_spd is determined:by something like::

uint16_t proportional_response_LVR (float KP, uint16_t L_LVR_value,
uint16_t R_LVR_value)
{
  uint16_t response = KP * abs(L_LVR_value - R_LVR_value);

  if (response > 100) {    // set max value
    response = 100;
  }

  return (response);

}

Moth / Cockroach is one of the Braitenburg vehicles.

Regards,
Doug P.