[Dprglist] MRPT C++ library for SLAM

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Sat Feb 6 20:07:29 PST 2021

On 7/02/21 12:33 pm, Chris N wrote:
> I played around with MRPT a few years ago. I think it’s a good option
> for folks who need ready to use algorithm implementations (e.g. for
> laser scan matching) but who find ROS to complex and/or don’t need or
> want all the communications plumbing that is really half of what makes
> ROS what it is.

Hi Chris,

That would pretty much describe me. I have pretty much zero interest
in adopting ROS but am looking for algorithms, either to use directly
or to port to Python. The fact that MRPT is an easy install for Linux
and the list of applications that it provides is quite extensive, the
only issue is that it's all written in C++ rather than Python. But with
the SWIG library (something I learned about while reading about YARP):

    https://www.yarp.it/git-master/yarp_swig.html

it's possible to call the MRPT library from Python, so that barrier is
somewhat removed.

Cheers,

Murray