[Dprglist] TOF sensors

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Tue Dec 14 22:10:44 PST 2021

Folks:
It annoys me that, as far as I can tell, all of the popular Time-of-Flight sensors simply measure phase, something that has been done for 40 years in avionics. I am driven by definitions, terminology, standards, specifications. I understand the difference between a standard and a specification. So, I am annoyed by the industry treating a delta phase as being a total time of flight.
Not saying things don't work. Just wish people would be consistent with language.
TOF sensors measure phase, NOT time. Measuring phase is a very simple thing to do without requiring light-speed components. MHz measurements are sufficient.
Nothing new here. Sorry to bother y'all.
A bit annoyed,John Swindle