[Dprglist] FPGAs in robots

Thalanayar Muthukumar tnkumar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 23:39:30 PST 2021

Thanks Carl for sharing your experience and perspective on usage of FPGAs
for robotics.

I have now implemented quadrature decoder and uart and deployed and tested
on ArtyS7-50 with soft core RISC processor MicroBlaze (diagram on left) and
was wondering what other capabilities of the FPGA like DSP slices can be
taken advantage of in an FPGA application and came across this project (Stereo
Vision and LiDAR Powered Donkey Car - Hackster.io
<https://www.hackster.io/bluetiger9/stereo-vision-and-lidar-powered-donkey-car-575769>)
- photo on right

Implementing stereo vision leveraging FPGA capabilities seemed an
interesting use case for robotics.
What do you think?

I think I will continue with some baby steps and possibly implement PID and
LIDAR based localization as I was considering earlier.

Regards.
- Kumar

[image: image.png][image: image.png]