[Dprglist] Drive by Wire on a Toyota IQ

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Tue Aug 24 20:32:21 PDT 2021

Hi,

Today I mentioned that I have a 2010 Toyota IQ and was unclear about
whether or not it was drive-by-wire, and clearly not, as only now are
some of the high-end manufacturers starting to release cars with the
feature.

I was muddled about this because when I researching the IQ I'd read
about drive-by-wire, which turns out to have been displayed at the
2009 North American Intenrational Auto Show on the Toyota FT-EV II,
an electric version of the IQ that was never released to the public,
as the IQ itself was dropped from production in 2015. So it would
have been one of the earlier production drive-by-wire cars had it
gone into production, but never did.

To answer Doug's question, if I knew that when the power to the car
is cut the steering at very least remains in the current direction I
would have no more qualms than using a car with power steering. I
guess I trust electrical wires more than tubes full of hydraulic fluid.

Or to be fair, I probably don't think about it much...

Cheers,