[Dprglist] Motus Labs Dallas

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:41:40 PDT 2021

So my team tried to get in touch with Motus after looking at their public
info and they pushed us off until after the new year, but they aren't
responding at all now. However their drive still looks interesting.
Harmonic (strain wave) drives and cycloidal drives seem to be what Motus is
competing against.

So I've been exploring the ins and outs of these kinds of "gearboxes" as I
continue my forlorn quest for high reduction, back driveable, hollow shaft
(pass through wiring) and affordable joint drives.  I thought I'd just
share a few links:

The clearest explanation of harmonic drives I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QidXf9pFYo&ab_channel=JetpackAcademy

A lot of folks are looking at 3D printed versions more tuned to hobbysts
https://hackaday.io/project/165599-compact-strain-wave-gear-actuators

Levi Janssen has done a series of vids on both cycloidals and harmonics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGI-4dHYz9U&ab_channel=LeviJanssen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMK6P9xvVFU&ab_channel=LeviJanssen

James Bruton experiments with cycloidals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgEOpl880KM&ab_channel=JamesBruton

Have fun bingeing,

Karim