[Dprglist] PID

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Wed Sep 30 12:38:38 PDT 2020

Hey Murray,

OK that explains it.  I'd thought the line numbers represented equal
time intervals.  My bad.  So those graphs are basically useless.  Ignore.

I've been looking around for a log plot from one of my robots, but
didn't really find anything PID specific.  I know Karim encourages his
teams to log data, perhaps he might have something more germane to your
specific situation.

Here is the closest I could find to a similar plot, the rcat robot
driving in a straight line between two waypoints 10 feet apart, and
rotating 180  degrees at the endpoints, using acceleration and
deceleration ramps for both the straight line and the rotations.  The
log data rate is the same as the control loop rate, which for this robot
is 25 Hz.  So 25 samples per second, 40 ms between data points.

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/rcat-pid-01.png

The trace of green x'es is the requested velocity, and the blue asterisk
trace is the requested rotation.   So these are the inputs to the PID
controllers.  The pink open boxes and cyan solid boxes are the left and
right power being sent to the motor, so these are the outputs of the PID
controller.

The brown open circles and tan solid circles are the actual measured
left and right wheel velocities from the encoders.  What the robot is
actually doing.  These are the values from which the PID proportional
error, derivative, and integral are derived.

In the first segment the green requested velocity ramps up to 400 (top
speed is 1000) and holds there for about 3 seconds, then ramps back down
to zero.  The blue requested rotation stays at or near zero, indicating
the robot is going in a straight line.  The small perturbations around 0
reflect the navigation behavior keeping the robot pointed toward the
target waypoint as it drives.  To an observer it just looks like it's
driving in a straight line.

Notice the acceleration and deceleration ramps are not symmetrical, as
the up ramp aims for a velocity set point at 400 and is quite linear,
while the down ramp uses the distance_to_target to set the velocity and
has a softer denouement.

When the robot has come to a stop at the end of the first segment, the
green requested velocity trace remains at zero but the blue requested
rotation ramps to -200, causing the robot to rotate in place
counter-clockwise. You can see that the power (cyan) and velocity (tan)
of the right wheel again ramp up going forward.  But the power (pink)
and velocity (brown) of the left wheel is in reverse, going backward.
Same thing happens for the return trip, except that the rotation at the
end of that segment is clockwise rather than counter-clockwise.

Here's a zoom in on the transition from the straight line segment to the
rotation, in which various values go through zero.  Always good to check
out the transitions :)

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/rcat-pid-02.png

Hope this is useful
dpa