[Dprglist] PID

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Tue Sep 29 22:45:22 PDT 2020

Hi Murray,

I've plotted some of your data.  Here's the error, P, setpoint and
output for your port motor:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/murray-01.png

I honestly can't make any sense of it at all.  It does not look like a
plot from a PID controller.

The oscillations around the set point you describe are clearly obvious.
Here's a zoom in on just that portion:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/murray-02.png

It  looks like the set point, the blue trace, is moving around, not
steady at 0.  So if the PID controller is being commanded to do that
it's not its fault if it's oscillating.  Why is that value moving around?

The initial startup is also bit bizarre.  Here's a zoom in on that:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/murray-03.png

It looks like the P,I,D terms are logged after they are already scaled
by their gain constants.  What you need to see are the raw values
calculated for the proportional error, the derivative error, and the
integral, and the final output power to the motors.

Here are similar plots for your right wheel:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/murray-04.png

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/murray-05.png

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/data/murray-06.png

It would be very useful to also log the wheel velocities.

And a time stamp.

cheers,

David