[Dprglist] PID

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 24 14:23:03 PDT 2020

While I've always been able to make good use of P-controllers, full PID tuning was a bit of a black box for me, even after reading lots of other resources (including the Wikipedia article).

This past season our 7172 team needed much better control of their elevator -- P-control wasn't at all sufficient -- and the trick for us was to have the robot display the real-time contributions of P, I, and D to the result.  That really enabled the group to see how they could improve the I and D terms to get a more consistent result.

I hope any videos/recordings of Tuesday's session are posted soon, I'd really like to see what was discussed.

Pm