[Dprglist] Anyone using an Omega2 Pro?

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Sat Sep 19 17:59:16 PDT 2020

Hi Jim & Chris,

I've generally been happy with Raspberry Pis (using the Pi Zero W and 3 B+)
and an Adafruit 120MHz ItsyBitsy M4 Express when I want an Arduino compatible.
I'm pretty heavily invested now in Python 3 so for a main board I want
something that can run Python 3 (even over CircuitPython).

I've used the Arduino Yun, which in addition to its ATmega32U4 has an
Atheros AR9331 processor running OpenWRT embedded Linux with WiFi, all on an
Uno-sized board. It's a bit of an oddball and not from what I can see
well-supported (though I note on sale right now). OpenWRT comes with Python 2
and it's a bit of a trick to get Python 3 installed. I've not yet figured out
how to use their "Bridge library" to communicate between the two... (sigh)

I was interested in the Omega2 because of its size, features and the onboard
LiPo battery management. I hadn't noticed that the 8GB is eMMC storage, with
128MB RAM and 384MB of swap. Not very much memory, very good point! As for
running OpenWRT Linux, on the Arduino Yun it was fine except for the general
difficulty of using embedded Linux (like the Python 3 issue), but to be
frank I kinda prefer the complete open-ness of the Raspberry Pi OS (prev.
"Raspbian"). OpenWRT certainly works but it's clear it was designed for an
embedded environment, as Chris indicated limits are pretty normal. OTOH,
being able to do "apt update" is kinda nice.

I've been using Makita 18V power tool batteries so far in my robots but for
an upcoming project I was thinking of switching to LiPo for both weight and
being able to weight-distribute the batteries, as it'll be a mechanum robot.
Yes, there are accessory boards for the Pi to do that but having it built-in
on the Omega2 is appealing.

I decided against using a Pi 4 on a robot due to it using almost double the
power of the 3 B+. I'm not doing any heavy video processing (yet, at least)
so I haven't needed more horsepower.

I decided to use a Samsung 500GB SSD for storage, which is significantly
faster than just an SD card. On a Pi 4 that'd be helped by (I believe) by
USB-C.

I completely agree about spending a bit extra on SD cards (as well as USB
sticks). Many of the cheap ones fail quickly or perform poorly. I've been a
happy SanDisk customer for a long time now. There's the SanDisk "Industrial"
and "Industrial XI" line of SD cards which "work in extreme temperatures
for prolonged amounts of time, integrate health status monitor capability,
special data retention mechanisms, and some are compliant with the AEC-Q100
Grade 3 standard." The one feature especially is their "Power Protection
capability, which prevents data from being corrupted during a write when
the power supply is unstable or unexpectedly lost." On a robot that seems
a real possibility.

All said, I suppose the Pi 3 B+ is still my workhorse of choice.

Cheers,

Murray