[Dprglist] Visualizing data [was: PID]

Bob Cook bob at bobandeileen.com
Sat Oct 3 17:01:58 PDT 2020

Hi Murray,

> On Oct 3, 2020, at 4:26 PM, Murray Altheim via DPRGlist <dprglist at lists.dprg.org> wrote:
>
> If I can manage to get the Python library to work, at the end of the run it
> will actually do an http POST and upload the CSV directly to Elasticsearch,
> where if I choose the same ID value for the data will deliberately overwrite
> the existing record. Then if I've got Grafana pointing at that record I can
> automatically refresh the visualisation. So if I manage to get that all
> running it will be almost entirely hands-free, apart from hitting F5 to
> refresh the screen (which might not even be necessary, dunno, I think Grafana
> can probably do live updates).

You may find some value in keeping all the data, rather than overwriting it each time. Grafana makes it easy to show data for any given time sequence, and you can easily zoom in/out or scroll your time period.

One other nifty thing about Grafana is the ability to define multiple graphs to be displayed together, as a dashboard. Here is an example:

In this, I was doing 30 second trials on different surfaces with different slopes. Notice how all three graphs are synchronized together, that happens automatically. This is showing a single run on concrete, straight up a slight incline.

Top graph is similar to the one I showed previously. Bottom graph is the motor input value (output of the computation). The right hand graph shows pitch and roll from the IMU. You can see that I had manually picked up the robot at the start and end of the run, to reposition it.  :)

- Bob