[Dprglist] Better PID Equation for Computing with a microcontroller

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu Oct 1 01:24:19 PDT 2020

On 1/10/20 10:16 am, Kipton Moravec via DPRGlist wrote:
> I found the writeup of the control equations for the power supply I
> did in December 2012 and pulled out just the PID part. The PID is
> faster for a computer to calculate.
>
> I do not remember where it came from, but it is pretty cool and
> unrecognizable.
>
> I made a PDF because equations do not work in email.

Hi Kip,

Thanks, while I actually took a differential equations course at university
I will own up to how absolutely minimal is my memory of any of that. So
when I get to that Z-transform I can kinda make out what it means but on
my own there'd be no way I'd have figured that out on my own.

That final formula does seem to be quite powerful but you almost lost me
at the A1 = formula as I didn't notice that specific line was actually
expressing all three relationships (A1, A2 and A3 are all defined on that
line). Once I'd (in my head) separated out those three it was clearer on
how I'd implement that in Python.

Is there any particular benefit in that u(t) formula over what many of the
existing PID algorithms do? Or is this just a different way of expressing
it?

Cheers,