[Dprglist] Dupont "Crimp Pin" Connectors

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu May 21 14:19:43 PDT 2020

Good day all,

In the last DPRG Robot Builders NIght Virtual, David was wondering what
those little 0.1" (2.54mm) pitch connectors many of use are called.
They're not Molex and seem to be called "Dupont Connectors" but they're
usually sold under different names -- seldom if ever mentioning "Dupont",
which is probably why David was having trouble finding them. I gave up
trying to find them on DigiKey's website as the only reliable search
result was the Pololu ones I'd already found on their site.

These are not to be confused with the white JST connectors that have the
little locking clasps. These are plain-rectangular, with usually black
plastic housings, where the female pins themselves have a small internal
spring to hold things together. The pins and sockets are themselves
rectangular; the housings come in single and dual rows.

I've collected a few links for those trying to find them. The best are the
small cheap kits that provide a selection of housings as well as both male
and female crimp pins, though I find I use mostly female pins YMMV. Buying
the pins separately is almost more expensive than buying them in one of
these kits.

    Excellway TC10 620pcs Wire Jumper Pin Header Connector Housing Kit
    For Dupont and Crimp Pins  US$8.07 (this is the kit I bought)
      https://www.banggood.com/620pcs-Wire-Jumper-Pin-Header-Connector-Housing-Kit-For-Dupont-and-Crimp-Pins-p-1132947.html

    250pcs 2.54mm Dupont Connector 1/2/3/4/5 Pin Male Female Header
    Housing Crimp Connectors Terminal Jumper Wire Cable Connectors  US$4.73
      https://www.banggood.com/250pcs-2_54mm-Dupont-Connector-12345-Pin-Male-Female-Header-Housing-Crimp-Connectors-Terminal-Jumper-Wire-Cable-Connectors-p-1436385.html

    Crimp Pins Kit with female housing pins    (no male pins)  $14.95
      https://www.dfrobot.com/product-706.html

    Crimp Pins for Female Housing Pins(PH2.54) 50 pins  US$0.89
      https://www.robotshop.com/en/crimp-pins-for-female-housing-pinsph254.html

Pololu sells both male and female pins as well as all the housings, all in
separate packaging. I just searched "crimp pins" on their website. Their
prices for the pins themselves are rather higher than anyone else's though.

    Female Crimp Pins for 0.1" Housings 100-Pack   US$5.95
      https://www.pololu.com/product/1930

    0.1" (2.54mm) Crimp Connector Housing: 1x2-Pin 25-Pack  US$1.49
      https://www.pololu.com/product/1901

    Dupont Connector Kit - 1004 pcs Crimp Connector Kit with Dupont Wire
    Connectors and Ribbon Cable  (can't get a price from Amazon since I'm in NZ)
      https://www.amazon.com/Dupont-Connector-Kit-Connectors-Plusivo/dp/B078RRPRQZ

or directly from Plusivo, a bigger kit with ribbon cables and headers, etc.

    Plusivo Dupont Connector Kit (> 1000 pcs)     US$19.99
      https://www.plusivo.com/home/31-plusivo-dupont-connector-kit.html

Plus: "The Plusivo Dupont Crimp Connector Kit is a joy to use." You can't
beat that.

Cheers,