[Dprglist] my own tanners

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Thu May 7 15:20:31 PDT 2020

Bill Atkinson, developer of HyperCard, told a story about how he used to
keep his papers organised. This around the time of the early Macs, 1984-1986.

He had a HyperCard stack with one single line field for an unique identifier
and the rest of the card a single scrolling field. As he received mail or
papers of any kind, he stuffed them into a manila folder and typed a brief
summary of each item. He didn't attempt to sort anything in the folder, he
just shoved everything in as it arrived (temporal order I suppose). When the
folder was full he started with a new empty folder and a new HyperCard card.

Then when he was looking for something he'd hypertext-search his way through
his stack until he found the card with the item he was looking for, then went
out into his garage and located the folder.

It was about the easiest method he could think of, and it worked. I was
inspired by that approach: the easiest way to solve the problem. This goes
against my own instincts, which is to over-engineer everything. You should
have seen a bed I built in the early 90s out of Douglas fir. I was really
proud of it at the time, but it was really over the top. I think it lives
in Santa Fe now, dunno.

Cheers,