[Dprglist] my own tanners

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Thu May 7 14:39:04 PDT 2020

Howdy,

My father passed away in March and Mom, 93,  has been living with us
since then.  Their house is only a couple of blocks away and I go by and
check on it from time to time, pick up things she needs, water the
plants and so on.

So today I went by and was looking for some 20 pin dip sockets. Dad was
a Ham, since the 1940s (WK5K) and I found a closet in his radio room
full of parts, all carefully organized and labeled in matching shoe
boxes.  I took a picture:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/jpeg/dads_ham_closet.jpg

Lots of electronic parts and hardware.  A whole box of metal standoffs,
another of nylon standoffs, lots of caps and resistors, a separate box
of 1%.  And a box of DIP sockets, including 20 pins.  My own personal
Tanners!

I of course have a lot of parts myself gathered over the years, but not
well organized.  So finding a particular part really means going through
everything.   Which I do, and have done, repeatedly.   I probably even
have some 20 pin DIPS somewhere. Same thing with our storage shed.  It's
just always been easier to run down to the hardware store than to dig
through the shed.

So, any of this sound familiar?  Or is it just me... :)

cheers,
dpa