[Dprglist] Stability of CPU oscillator

Murray Altheim murray18 at altheim.com
Fri Jun 5 00:47:17 PDT 2020

Hi John,

What I was trying to say is that the CPU's oscillator is well known to be
unstable, so if that's a requirement for your application that would most
certainly fail. This is also known to be exacerbated when running on an
unstable power source such as might be used in a robot, i.e., clock
stability is also related to the stability of the power source. This is
also affected by temperature, so as the Intel chip warms up its clock
speed will change, e.g. as a source:

    Clock Quality (Network Time Foundation's NTP Support Wiki)
    http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-s-sw-clocks-quality.htm#AEN1220

The values shown on the above page may help you judge whether the amount
of known drift is acceptable.

I was suggesting a GPS clock as a stable time source because it does seem
to fit your requirements. A typical GPS unit such as Adafruit's is US$29,
is 16mm x 16mm x 5mm, weighs 4 grams, and uses 20mA:

   https://www.adafruit.com/product/790

Indoors it will never track satellites but you don't need to be outdoors
and use the GPS feature itself to take advantage of the clock.

Cheers,

Murray