[Dprglist] Stability of CPU oscillator

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Thu Jun 4 21:08:07 PDT 2020

Following on from Murray's comment.  The standard in seismology these
days where very accurate time is required  is to use GPS disciplined hi
resolution clocks.  So the one PPS signal from the GPS is used to
correct the drift of (an otherwise extremely accurate) hardware clock.

John, I don't know if this is helpful, but DPRG friend Mark Sims
developed one a few years ago that has become common in a lot of
research and national laboratories.   Wonder if he might have some
advice to offer.   Mark are you out there?

One of the profs at SMU used to do an exercise for his students where
they synchronized two very hi-precision clocks, and then sent one up to
the third floor.   Sure enough, because of relativistic effects, the one
on the third floor runs faster; it's higher in the gravity well.   They
had to calculate how much faster.  He told me at the time that the
coming clock technology would reduce that to about a meter.   So a clock
on the table would run measurably faster than one on the floor.

cheers,

dpa