[Dprglist] Stability of CPU oscillator

John Swindle swindle at compuserve.com
Thu Jun 4 19:55:55 PDT 2020

Folks:
What is the typical stability of the oscillator in a consumer x86 platform?
I don't find that specified for systems, or I don't know where to look for the spec. The part numbers on the crystal often don't seem to be sufficient to find the stability in the XTAL datasheet.
I don't have access to test equipment to measure it.
I appreciate any help, but just to be clear: I'm asking about the stability, not the accuracy, so it would be ppm of drift and/or jitter over time, not ppm of accuracy.
I intend to use the invariant TSC in x86 processors, but if the oscillator is not stable, then the invariant TSC numbers will not be as useful to me.
Thanks.
John Swindle