[Dprglist] odometery test movie

markus markus at bibi.ca
Mon Jul 13 06:57:21 PDT 2020

Hello David,

this is interesting. I did something similar on a smaller scale for
Freddiie which I brought to a Roborama a few years ago. It has a timer
and periodically squares itself up against the closest "edge".
For the Table Top 2 that was the edge of the table and for Can-Can
soccer it was a wall (although Freddiie did really poorly there).

It does a similar "bum shaking dance" as rcat does, but Freddiie isn't
as subtle about it. Due to the known location of the reference edge it
can re-calibrate its entire pose, not just the alignment. In order to
save time (it was a competition/race after all), it alternates the
axis. First it chooses an edge along the X axis, the next time the Y
axis ... that way it didn't have to spend the time driving into a
corner.

I did the UMBmark calibration as per your instructions. But before the
competition I was taking the robot apart so many times that I couldn't
spend the time running through that process each time. Using periodic
pose adjustments made odometry much more resilient to errors in
alignment and uneven ground (Freddiie is fairly small and light, way
too easy to get distracted by debris on its path).

If memory serves right the competition was filmed, although I don't
think I ever found it on the dprg website.

Thanks for reminding me, Good times!
Markus