[Dprglist] The 2nd "Build More Robots" Training Class Series - starts Sat. March 21

Doug Paradis paradug at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 19:08:56 PST 2020

-All,

A new "Build More Robots" training classes series will start on Saturday,
March 21st. The series will have 4 sessions: build, programming, line
following, Sumo. Each session is scheduled for 2 hours starting at noon and
will be held at the Interactive classroom of the Dallas Maker Space. For
graduation, there will be a small competition at the end of the final
session with Line Following and Sumo contests which will take about an hour.

The series is aimed at beginners. Prior knowledge is not necessary.  The
classes are open to everyone, including students, however, note that the
classes move quickly, and the classes may not be a good fit for young
students.

To join the series, you must bring at least the robot kit, batteries,
tools, and $5 to the the 1st session, the sensors will be needed in the
following sessions.

You also must sign up for the class at:
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15255

Seating is limited so sign up quickly. I need the count to make sure that
enough Platform Upgrade Kits are available.

I suggest that you get your robot kit as soon as possible.

*What you will need:*

1.         Robot Kit  -
https://smile.amazon.com/VKmaker-Avoidance-tracking-Ultrasonic-tutorial/dp/B01CXVA6IO/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=smart+car+robot&qid=1580782367&sr=8-3
or
similar

2.         Sensors -
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I57HIJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or
similar

3.       Platform Upgrade Kit – Provided by instructor at a nominal cost
($5).

4.       6 AA Alkaline batteries

5.       A Philips head screwdriver (#1), a small pair of pliers, and wire
cutters. See https://www.dprg.org/ to more detailed descriptions.

*Total Cost:*    ~$40.00 for parts

*Sessions:*        Mar 21 at noon  -  Robot Build Session

                         Mar 28 at noon  -  Basic Arduino Programming
Session

                        Apr 4 at noon  -  Line Following Robot Session

                        Apr 11 at noon  -  Sumo Robot Session

*The number of class slots is limited.*

*Build More Robots Series – Robot Build Session*

Want to build a robot? Here is your chance to do it, with some help and in
a group of similarly minded individuals. The Build More Robots Series
consists of 4 sessions, each 2 hours long, held on consecutive Saturdays.
The sessions will cover the assembly of the robot, basic Arduino
programming, line following robots, and sumo robots. In the line following
and sumo sessions, you will reconfigure your robot to accomplish line
following and sumo robot functions. There may even be some friendly
competition!

In this first session, you will need the items listed below. During the
session we will build the robot together and learn about the different
components of the robot while we build.

*Build More Robot Series – Basic Arduino Programming Session*

You have built the robot, now what? In this session of the Build More
Robots Series we will explore how to program the robot’s Arduino
microcontroller board. We will learn the different commands, and how to
develop a programming style that makes the process more organized and
easier to change. The session is geared for the novice and should help
anyone move up the learning curve with confidence.

*Build More Robot Series – Line Following Session*

In this session of the Build More Robots Series we will explore how to make
our robot follow a line. We will cover some of the sensor strategies used
in line following, then build our line following sensor using the infrared
obstacle avoidance sensor modules that we purchased in the first session.
After assembling and mounting our new sensor, we will program a basic line
following program using what we learned in the Arduino Programming session.

*Build More Robot Series – Sumo Session*

What is Sumo? When talking robots, we mean a competition where two robots
are placed in a circular arena and proceed to try and push each other out
of the arena. It is a sort of bumper cars for robots. In this session of
the Build More Robots Series, we will discuss basic strategies used in Sumo
robot competitions, and why they are used. We will also modify our robot
into a Sumo robot and demonstrate a basic robot sumo program. Next, we
battle!