[Dprglist] looking for ideas for mounting camera on robot

Clayton Timmons ctimmons at ieee.org
Wed Feb 5 18:12:19 PST 2020

Pondering how to mount a camera to my robot.  Using the raspberry pi camera
or similar.
Here is a picture of my current mount.   Made out of wooden dowel rod,
painted black.

[image: image.png]

My thoughts on specifications....

Needs to be rigid enough to hold the camera up 4-5 inches above the mount
point on the robot.

Needs to be easily removable.   The camera sticking up prevents me from
putting my robot in a box.   I would like something like a GoPro mount with
the thumbscrew so I can remove it or at least fold it down.

I have looked at the gooseneck type flexible mounts but I'm not liking the
fact that they are easily bumped out of alignment.   The camera
alignment needs to be adjustable but it also needs to be locked down tight
once adjusted.

What comes to my mind is the square metal tube that is used to hold street
signs.  Something like that but in miniature.   Easy to cut,  easy to put
small thumbscrew through.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-Clay Timmons-