[Dprglist] 12 December 2020 DPRG Virtual Competition

deltagraph at aol.com deltagraph at aol.com
Tue Dec 15 15:59:36 PST 2020

Hello David / All,
I second that thanks to Carl and wanted include Doug Paradis for all his work on contest organization and the DPRG website. Please let me know who I am missing here.
I see already contest results are posted at https://www.dprg.org/virtual-robot-competition-results-12-12-2020/ including video of contest meeting. I was interested in watching Doug Dodgen's presentation that I was distracted from watching while panicking over getting backup you tube videos uploaded for my and Will Kunhle's LFS runs.
I found the emailed links, so am repeating these below.
David, I fell down in including you in the LFS (Line Follower Simulator) User's Guide acknowledgements. Your talks are certainly what inspired much of my interest in DPRG many years ago -- so long ago I thought all this knowledge was inborn. Same goes for much of what Will Kuhnle has imprinted into my mind.

Also, I want to tip my hat to all who participated in this initial release and contest use of LFS. I would like the PNG files of your contest runs to post on the virtual walls of a possible future 3D edition of LFS. This includes every one who competed including Chris Netter, Carl Ott, Doug Paradis, Jesse Brockmann, Will Kuhnle and finally Juan Shi who was not afraid to demonstrate a less than perfect robot run.

I am interested in possible future development in LFS with new twists, but also interested in keeping classic parameters to see what can be done with controller refinement as we learn more about how to make more optimal controllers.  Also, other features like obstacle detection and  avoidance would be fun. Maybe a virtual outdoor contest in 1/6 or 1/3 gravity might be a worthwhile pursuit - simulating popular future hobby robot destinations - I do favor the ability to run faster than real-time (for development), but maybe not 100X for these pursuits.

Ron Grant

 •DavidAnderson•rcatspins:  https://youtu.be/87No-caHfig•rcat odometery test:  https://youtu.be/y7VoEV_bhcs•Doug Dodgen•Robie  http://www.myrobotblogs.com/Images/Blogs/53/Part-186-4.MP4 •Jesse Brockmann•JRoverMaxx  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YN6mE00x10
•CarlOtt•HoverSim https://youtu.be/-lPDkrrLzZY