[Dprglist] telepresence today

David Anderson davida at smu.edu
Sun Apr 26 17:40:13 PDT 2020

Karim,

I posted this link earlier to the Homebrew robotics group of a fellow
doing a nifty telepresence experiment using small robots with smart
phones, if you didn't see it:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hbrobotics/Vx1lDsWQOe8

which includes some nifty video demos.  As to your larger question, we
built a remote piloted vehicle at smu some years ago and I drove it
around the building quite a bit and learned some things.  Here's a link:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/camcar/

The original car had a fixed mount camera but we found we needed to be
able to look around, for example to cross the street, so a two-axis
servo mount was added and we found that, in addition to looking around,
the robot could now nod it's head for yes and shake back and forth for
no.  So we could pull up to a closed door or elevator and wait for a
human to come along, and through "yes" and "no" interactions get them to
open the door for us.   People seemed quite willing to do so.

The mount was setup so it could rotate a little more than 360 degrees
and that turned out to be really valuable when the robot or it's antenna
got stuck on something.   Also to see the wheels to determine what they
might be running up against.

We also found that we could push objects around and interact with the
environment.  Here's a video of the robot worrying a trashcan away from
the wall and pushing it into the stairwell and down the stairs:

http://www.geology.smu.edu/dpa-www/robo/camcar/camcar_can.mpg

A couple a times the robot itself fell down a flight of stairs, and it
was completely confusing as to what was happening as it tumbled end over
end.  So in the above video you can see the camera looking down at the
wheels to be sure it was far enough from the edge.

It occurred to us at the time that this might be a real boon for someone
who was bedridden to interact with the world, perhaps a sick or
handicapped child.    The comm link was only one way at the time but
that would not be a problem with today's technology.

My only real worry at the time was that the last thing we would see
would be a big hand coming in and covering up the video link...

cheers,

dpa