[Dprglist] telepresence today

Karim Virani pondersome64 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 09:42:09 PDT 2020

Does anyone here have hands-on experience with telepresence robots? I know
a lot of us have experimented with the concept. I've done things like setup
a remote pan-tilt webcam at my desk at work with remote desktop and a
webcam feed so people could see me controlling my pc and I could direct the
webcam on their end so I could look around in the office. They found it
novel but spooky. But it didn't have the ability to move around. My team
has played around with this on mobile robots, but only in a trivial way.
Though we are working on truly remote control of our current robot.

Here is a compilation of some currently available options:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-telepresence-robots

I'm not just interested in the technical aspects. What about the social
norms? How do you set expectations for co-works for simple things like
helping the robot through doorways or to different floors of an office?
Especially when it is not inhabited.

Clearly this industry is going to boom. Thoughts?

Karim