[Dprglist] Recommendations for Robot Platform

Carl Ott carl.ott.jr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 15:51:00 PST 2019

Hi Murray,

Welcome to the DPRG mailing list - Thanks for reaching out - Hello New
Zealand!

No kidding about doing an 8085 based computer in 1979 as a high school
student - that puts you pretty close the great Woz of Cupertino :)

Wow what a great list of options - lots of new bits and pieces... Much
appreciated.

No worries about the BOM prices and leaning on ready-made components. I am
on a quest for kits that we might base a training series on. But it's
always great to look at projects like the one you're starting on.

You mentioned servo mounting a LiDAR - some DPRG members have done that.
Some have also dabbled with the constant rotation LiDAR - speak up if you'd
like chat about those - they'll give you lots more data than you could get
with a servo mounted LiDAR.

Glad to hear you've had good success or at least positive impressions from
the Pimoroni modules.
I've recently purchased some Pimoroni OnOff Power Shims to get my Pi
projects off to a robust start, and hopefully avoid corrupting the file
system with unceremonious power yanks. Have you tried those? I'm about
ready to install the first one and check it out...

I've also noticed the OSEPP kits - so it will be nice to hear about your
experience with those.  Would it take much encouragement to have you blog
about your project as it comes along? We have had some interest
time-to-time in the club about using Bluetooth and other RF mechanisms for
indoor location mapping.  And we're aware of some systems out there to
facilitate that - for example this one which appears geared for public
venues - https://quuppa.com/ (not sure that it's hobbyist friendly).

We do need to up our game on the DPRG project blogging front - we've been
active but haven't published much about our projects except for
competitions and our monthly presentations.

In terms of typical DPRG projects, it could help to look at our recent
contests
- 2020 Fall RoboRama draft plans, https://www.dprg.org/roborama-2020/
- Full menu of contests we tend to pick from
https://github.com/dprg/Contests

and our YouTube channel which you've probably already found:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DPRGclips

Lots of members do side projects unrelated to the DPRG contests. But the
contests do a decent job of showing the kinds of robots most people take on.

Again - Welcome!

Carl