[Dprglist] Recommendations for Robot Platform

Rud Merriam rudmerriam at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 20:54:32 PST 2019

I was working on a robot based on a Wild Thumper chassis, etc. I've used
that chassis previously.

Earlier Sphero had a Kickstarter for their RVR.
(https://www.sphero.com/rvr) It is smaller but it had all the sensors I
wanted - gyro, accel, IMU, encoders. It has a serial port and a USB port
so you can add another computer. They focused on the Pi but also support
Arduino. Got it in mid-October and am spending a lot of time on it.
While I do somewhat enjoy the hardware aspects of robots my preference
is software.

I'm currently reverse engineering their serial protocol in C++. Getting
support from them. Their firmware team is delighted someone is actually
working at their level. I'm even getting them thinking more about the
maker community. Their focus has been mainly on educational promotion.
But the RVR is quit different from their earlier platforms and can
address a wider market. IMO high school or even undergrads could learn a
lot about robotics with the RVR.

It you want something off the shelf I highly recommend the RVR. I sold
my remaining Thumper chassis and some other robotics stuff to cover the
cost of the RVR.

-73 -
*Rud Merriam K5RUD*
/Mystic Lake Software/ <http://mysticlakesoftware.com/>